ForumPain-and-Pain-Management

Why are my fingers and toes locking up and cramping?

• PRINCESS

Why are my fingers and toes locking up and cramping?

Why have my fingers suddenly started locking/freezing up and cramping? For the past few weeks I have been getting sudden sharp cramps in either of my hands. The cramps then move to my fingers causing my fingers to freeze/lock up. It feels like something is pushing my fingers. When I try to straighten my fingers out, they won't straighten. The pain is horrible! These episodes usually last for about 5 minutes and can happen at any moment. During the 5 minutes I can't pick up anything or hold anything. Minutes after the pain subsides and my fingers go back to normal I start feeling cramping in either foot. The cramp then moves up to my toes causing my toes to also lock up/freeze. The pain in my feet and toes is the worst! The pain is so bad that I have lie down, I can't walk. The pain in my feet and toes can last anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour or more. I also noticed that my legs have been feeling heavier than usual. It feels like I have to drag my leg when I walk. P.S. Please don't tell me to go to a Dr. I can't afford a doctor currently. I also don't think I'm dehydrated because I drink lots of water and Gatorade. I also don't think it's a potassium deficiency because I've been getting lots of potassium (been eating bananas and etc). I'm also not over weight (I'm nowhere near being over weight, in fact) So what could be causing this?

Answers

• nancyinfv  
    I know you said you can't afford to see a doctor, but you can go to any emergency room and they have to treat you, whether you have insurance or not. Your symptoms sounds so painful and unusual that it's probably a good idea to see a doctor for them. Are there any free clinics near you? Do you have any friends or family members that could help you with the cost of doctor visit? I do know that calcium deficiency can cause muscle cramps, but I really think you are having a medical emergency. I'm sorry that this is not the answer you were looking for, but I am very concerned for you! I hope you are able to get this resolved soon!