ForumPain-and-Pain-Management

Why does my left shoulder hurt when I run?

• sopgotdeb

Why does my left shoulder hurt when I run?

I am on a cross country team and almost every time I run I feel a sharp pain in my left shoulder. It really hurts and sometimes I need to stop running for a few minutes for it to go away. The pain only lasts about 5 - 10 minutes.

Answers

• Tcjunior18  
    Many factors could lead to why your shoulders hurt such as: Lifting, the way you sleep, the things you do on a everyday basis. I know when i feel pain in my shoulder when i get up in the morning is by the way i slepted on it. The signs of it includes numbness and weightless in my whole are not just the shoulder. I can't really give you a direct answer on why it hurts when you run cause i don't know how you run. ( we all have a different way of runnning too) I would get it checked out if this has been bothering you in the long run as of you running. Dr May prescribe you some meds to take to fix that or lay off on the running if you tend to run ALOT. Get well Bud and don't overdue yourself.
  • Douglas B  
    You have a tight muscle that the bounces put into pain to make it hurt. You have to release your back muscles to set that one free and here's how to do that: Back: (do from a sitting position) Place your left hand on your left leg next to your body. Place your right hand over your left shoulder, fingers over the back and the palm in the front and firmly press on them and hold. After 30 seconds slowly lower your body forward and to the outside of your left leg, keeping your left arm fairly straight as you do. When you reach your lap remain there for another 10 seconds, release the pressure but rest there for another 30 seconds. Then reverse your hand positions and do your right side. For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.
  • gary w  
    you might have an impingement on a nerve in your shoulder and running aggravates it .